Sunday, January 11, 2009

They always make me laugh

Last night I told the girls to find books to read before they went to bed. Andrea said, "Weh's doh-tah soos?" It took me a second to figure out she was asking "Where is Dr. Seuss?" I'm not sure which Dr. Seuss book she was referring to - maybe The Cat in the Hat?

Today in Primary the singing leader had snowflakes that she had the kids sit on. When we got home that's what Greta wanted to do, so I cut papers into squares, folded them, and showed her what to do. We made four (or more?) papers worth of snowflakes of various sizes. Toward the end she said, "This is totally, totally awesome!" I am sure I taught her awesome, but totally...?

At lunch we had yummy skillet dinner. Andrea didn't eat much, but she did tell Greta "Dis is ree, ree, ree, ree good." But she didn't say good. I had to ask her what she said, then figured it out just as my parents told me.

As crazy and wild as these girls are, they have hearts of gold. If I get hurt (even pretending) Greta gets sad right along with me and wants to make me feel better. Greta loves making things to give to people, usually some kind of drawing or painting. She has been wanting us to help her spell out messages that she writes. Andrea knows how to make your heart melt. She is the hardest kid to be mad at! All she has to do is smile at you or tell you that she loves you and she is forgiven. And she has the saddest, most heartbreaking cry. I heard that tonight when I went upstairs after multiple times telling them to be quiet, it's bedtime, etc. It broke my heart and I had to hug and kiss her until she wasn't so sad. She is finally letting me wear a sweater around the house without making me take it off. She used to think that if I wore a sweater it meant I was leaving. And if I give her a kiss she says, "No bye-bye."

No comments: