Friday, October 9, 2009

"Are you wearing your spectacles?"

Last week I had an eye exam. The next day I got contacts. Greta didn't really understand contacts but she wanted to, so I told her I would show her. The next day (Saturday) she came into my bedroom first thing in the morning. I asked if she wanted to watch me put them in. She wanted to watch me take them out, so I showed her, then put it back in.

Sunday night I was covering Andrea at bedtime when Greta asked, "Are you wearing your spectacles?" I said, "What?" (That seems to be what I say when I want someone to explain what they are asking, but how would they know that is what I am asking??) "Are you wearing your spectacles?"

I think she understood that I had no idea what she was talking about by the look of complete confusion on my face, because she said something about the things on my eyes. I laughed and said that no, I was not wearing the contacts, and where did she hear the word spectacles?

"From the Barbie Princess and the Pauper." Ah-ha. "The queen says, 'Where are my spectacles? Where are my spectacles?' " (I probably just slaughtered the queen's quote. Greta corrected me when I was telling this story the other day.)

Silly girl. And once again I am amazed at the random, funny things my kids learn from silly shows.

No comments: